Go Go Go SocceRoos go!

When we talk about the national animals of Aussie..
First to come in mind would be koala and kangaroo..

There is no need to explain why the Aussie Soccer team calls themselves the SocceRoos! Gosh, this is such a hit nowadays.. Everyone is talking SocceRoos! Thanks to World Cup!

Yeah man! Run For Your Balls!

Yup.. So today, I'm going to show my culinary skills again..
We are not going to eat koala.. we are going for some Kangaroo rather.

I love this cos its really not that oily as compared to other meats I get in the supermarket. So I guess its a healthier choice for all.

You can hop, but you cannot hide! :)

Significance of the dish:
Its my first time cooking and eating kangaroo, so this sort of made me a Newbie to it. But nevertheless, it was such a wonderful experience. The meat was soft and tender. Tentalizes my taste bud till the max!

Presenting.. Garlic and Herbs Kangaroo Steak..

Ingredients:

  • Garlic and Herbs Kangaroo Steak (other options discussed later)
Sides:

  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Cauliflower
  • Tomato
  • Dash of peppercorn
  • Small serve of Bell pepper salad dressing with olive oil
The expert says:
The way you cut your veges really depends on how you wanted to present your dish this time, there isn't any rule to it. Boil your carrots and cauliflower, have your celery and tomato raw, they taste good! Sprinkle your freshly grinded peppercorn on top and finish it off with some salad dressing.
As for your kangaroo steak.. there is a couple of options. You can get the marinated ones from the supermarket, or you can get those plain ones and do your personal marination. I've tried both, and I prefer the ones I marinated myself.. Cos I get to control what goes into my steak to fully bring out the taste of the meat.
A bit more on the "traditional" side, I've actually tried 2 different marination for my steak. First is black pepper one, then a more oriental way of garlic and herb style. Black Pepper has always been my fave.. it goes well with almost anything. To do this dish, simply rub your steak in oyster sauce and black pepper. Then leave it for a couple of hours before cooking. For the garlic n herbs version. Grab some minced garlic, a dash of white pepper and your favourite mixed herbs, not forgetting some oyster sauce and start rubbing it in onto your steak. Again.. leave it for a couple of hours to let the taste set in.
The best way to cook this steak is to oven bake it. Its a slower process as compared to grilling, but you can be assured of better texture of the meat. More tender in other words. Don't over do it.. you are gonna waste your money, cos you will end up with a piece of rubber to chew on. About 20 minutes or so would be a good time. A tip to note, you might want to flip it just to ensure both sides get cooked.

Another way to ensure that you meat (this applies to all sorts of meat) is tender, you might want to pound the meat a few times before you marinate them. The purpose of this pounding is to slightly break the bonding in grains of the meat. If you don't have the proper tool (thats a hammer look-alike tool), you can always use the back of your knife.. But a word of caution, over pounding cause the meat texture to go really bad.. (this is a comment by a top chef I saw on TV years ago)

Interesting point: A glass of shiraz really will go well with this dish.

I'm so good that sometimes I even scare myself

0 comments: